Paul Woolford Interview with Punchfunk Ireland


1)How was your last visit to Letterkenny - did you enjoy it?

Yes I loved it! Ireland seems to be the place I return to the most - and I always have really enjoyable gigs here. I think it's your hospitality, I always feel welcome over here.

2)Where is your sound at now? ..what's influencing at the moment?

Well it always revolves around the highest quality house and techno, but I'm particularly liking the work of Levon Vincent. He's making very raw, straight to the point house that doesn't play by the same old rules of much of the shiny, clean digital deluge. His music has spirit, which has always been something I look for. There's a few people doing material like this but he's at the forefront. He's a fantastic dj as well. As far my sound goes, my approach is to stay true to the records I love and not bend or compromise for the sake of trends at all - Inevitably you overlap with what's deemed to be the sound of the moment at some point, but I've purposefully kept my eyes ahead and truly the most important thing is where the next great record is coming from.

3)Which one do you enjoy the most, Djing or producing?

They both hold very different rewards - impossible to choose between them. I love the process of building something alone in the studio, and then to have the immediate gratification if playing in a club environment is unbeatable when it's at it's best.

4)What have you been up to lately and what can we expect from you over the next couple of months?

I've been working a double CD for Renaissance called 'Platform'. That has taken a large amount of my attention since the back end of last year, as the planning began in November 2009 in Brazil when I was touring, and then gradually putting the tracklist together, through to finally mixing both CDs and finishing them last week. There's about 42 tracks on in total and I used various parts & components that many of the producers had sent me, so the construction was a job in itself. I've been looking at the artwork in the last few days and it's very different so I'm looking forward to seeing how this is received.

Elsewhere, I am about to master 2 new EPs for my Intimacy label - a 4 tracker under my Bobby Peru alias with a James Zabiela remix included, and a Paul Woolford 4 tracker as well. It's been fun resurrecting BP, and I've opened up his remit so there's some left turns musically...

And finally on the remix side, there are new things coming on Gui Boratto 'Trills' (Renaissance), Simian Mobile Disco feat Jamie Lidell 'Off The Map' (Wichita) and Justin Long 'Strange' (.DotBleep).

Next up remix-wise is Scott Hardkiss, Funk D'Void and Mat Playford who is also releasing some killer material on Intimacy.

5)Say you were to hold your own event, what acts would you book and what venue would you hold it in?

Steve Reich, Kraftwerk, Carl Craig, Moritz Von Oswald, Francesco Tristano, Jeff Mills, Robert Hood, Idjut Boys, Danny Krivit, Francois K, Kerri Chandler, Moodyman, Derrick May, Basic Channel, Levon Vincent, Prosumer and Raresh and I'd hold it on an all-inclusive 5 star holiday resort somewhere hot. It would absolutely insane!

6)Do you have any tips for aspiring producers and DJs in how they can 'break' into the music scene?

Be patient and develop your sound before you start spamming people all over the net. There is such a deluge of bad music out there that you need to really refine your work to stand out these days.

7)What should people expect from your set at Punchfunk @ Central in February?

A lot of energy and a late night! :)

And he wasnt lying! Great nite and they had to drag him off the decks at the end of the nite :) Brilliant! Videos to come soon!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Punchfunk-Ireland/216417000655

1 Comments

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post