AVA Festival / Let's Go Back

I want to go back! All week I've wanted to go back, I still want to go back... as a matter of fact, it's possible I haven't left, not really, and why would I... it was outstanding!! Old Lush! Portrush, Planet Love (North & South), Hi:Fi Festival, Electric Picnic, Life Fest, Boxed Off etc etc.. all been done, several times,... but the buzz in that AVA crowd... is right at the top! What an incredible weekend!

Saoirse absoloutely stole the show on Friday, track after track, choon after choon. Caught her set at Electric Picnic a few years back at the Rave In The Woods and she was very, very good, but this was something extra. Amongst some very selected tracks, was an old Ingrosso remix of Mobys 'Dream About Me', a track I bought on vinyl a long time ago, and until then had never heard anywhere else, Big Yeeeoooww! After that, the only thing that was clear... was that we were there for the nite...

Got there later than planned, both days, but looking back it doesn't feel like we missed something, everything I didn't even know I wanted from the weekend, was served to me uptempo and loud with extra Yeeeeoooowwwww on top. Saturday night included catching the end of Belfast legend Phil Kieran's evening set in the superb Nomadic Stage, disco balls, lasers and a packed arena had the pleasure of hearing him drop his fantastic remix of 'La Onzieme Marche'. Big Yes! But as Tommy Holohan prepared to take over, little did we know we were stood exactly where we needed, and wanted to be...

Tommy Holohan tore the Nomadic stage a new one, right from the word go! I'd heard of the man, and knew he was no nonsense... but that definitely needs to be seen, or heard as the case may be, to be appreciated. Loved it, didnt know I would, but I loved it! That 'extra' couple BPMs, relentless mixing, some random clinker breaks, big crowd, that Nomadic Stage... new fan right here.

A man I'd never heard of until AVA closed the The Grasses stage on Saturday night, and boy did he close it in style! R. Kitt served up a buffet of classic clinkers, one after another, and with that belter sound system to back it up, there was only one direction we were headed...FlatSideWays! The big smiles, the big eyes, the energy in the crowd, the buzz in the air, the hands in the air, that little bit of space to dance in, that smoke you've been wanting for half an hour but can wait... we were in full flight! Happy Days!! 

We heard some quality tracks over the 2 days but there's one track that stood out, and it was the final track of the weekend. A Belfast special I'm told... and special it was... it hasn't left my head all week, and neither has AVA. Roll on June next year

Tune Of The Weekend

Post a Comment

Please Select Embedded Mode To Show The Comment System.*

Previous Post Next Post